Sunday, January 27, 2013

Life is Soft


Blood Bond

How do you know how to love?
How do you know to hold the boy next to you while he cries for the first time in his life?
How do you know that’s what you’re supposed to do?
Who puts the words in your mouth when you finally find your daughter two counties over after a long fight?

Look back to the time when you were there
Stop and feel the softness
Look up and know you’re home.

Perfection is not sharp, it’s soft
it’s the softness that covered me when I was down
under with the demons
I was my own worst enemy

But she was there and he was there
and their lights they gave to me.
I was bare and cold, they gave me a fire to burn

How do you know how to love?
How do you know to scream out to the boy at the station, telling him not to go?
How do you know that’s what you’re supposed to do?
Who puts the words in your mouth when you look up and have to answer your son’s defeated eyes?

Look back to the time when you were there
Stop and feel the softness
Look up and know you’re home.


Note: 
This was mostly inspired by "Blood Brothers" by Ingrid Michaelson 
and "Riversong" by A Fine Frenzy



No comments:

Post a Comment